Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Herbie!!!

The Library is such a great resource. Not for the intellectual knowledge gained by reading good books (or those really boring books people like to call "Classics"), but because of the free movies.  Suzy recently rented two Herbie movies (if you remember, Herbie is a 1963 VW Bug who is alive somehow, that part is never explained).  The movie I got to watch with the fam was "Herbie Fully Loaded".  It's probably pretty typical Herbie (probably since I really can't remember watching any others, although I'm sure I did in my growing up years).  Herbie is about to get scrapped, is saved and given to a girl who loves to race cars but doesn't anymore (the Great Lindsay Lohan).  Of course, Herbie has other ideas and ends up beating the reigning Nascar champion. Despite the blatant impossibilities (heck, it's a car that acts like a person, what do I care if NASCAR has a bunch of strict rules about the type of car that can race in their races...), It was quite the exciting movie. Lots of race scenes with Herbie almost destroyed a few times, etc.

Why do I bring up this random movie night? Because of Kate. It is such a treat watching a movie with her. Especially one as gripping and intense as "Herbie Fully Loaded."  At one point, we had to stop the movie because she was full on crying (Herbie had been entered into a demolition derby and looked to be in dire straits).  After much reassurance that they wouldn't make a movie about Herbie just to see him destroyed, we were able to continue.

The final race scene has Herbie do his signature "drive on a wall to avoid some other cars" trick. Kate was about as wide eyed as you can get on that scene (Faith...stoically sucking her thumb). 

Afterward, Kate was asked what her fav part was. Her response? Not the exciting race scenes, not the budding romance between "Maggie" and "Kevin"...
It was the final scene where Herbie drives off side by side with a very stylish yellow VW Beetle. 

I love my girls. And they are girls through and through.

1 comment:

Creekwood Montessori School said...

Awwwwww...I think that's my favorite part, too.

Great post, Mike. I loved every bit of it...