Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Some Statistics

I've been working on my upcoming lesson (Enlarge the place of thy tent - Isaiah 54–56; 63–65). Because of the reference to Stakes, I thought I'd do a little research on Church growth and the growth of stakes (and Temples). I found some interesting trends.

The blue in this graph is the number of Stakes. The red the Number of members per Stakes (actually I put stakes and districts together). I find it interesting that there seems to have been a policy change at some point to allow a larger number of people per stake, and you can see the up-tick in the red line, and the slower growth of the # of stakes in the blue line.



Church membership growth has been mostly linear over the past 30 years or so.



Its cool to see the huge growth in the number of temples in such a short period of time.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's interesting. My stake is contributing to that first graph for sure. I don't know how many members we have in our stake, but we have probably 3 wards that need to be split, and I imagine they would split our stake shortly thereafter. The problem for us, is we don't have enough church buildings to house new wards, so they can't be split. A new building has been in the works for a while, but there have been a lot of problems with permits and such. Anyway, maybe that's the reason for the larger number?

Mike said...

That does make sense Em, higher density areas with a shortage of space could help drive larger stakes.

middledavis said...

Interesting stats. And interesting comment, Em.