Saturday, April 6, 2013

Singapore - March 2013

Well, I went to Singapore the first two weeks in March and got off the blogging bandwagon.  I'm about to get back on in a big way.

So, Singapore was interesting as always.  I actually walked around a few times for once.  I figured out that the hotel I was at was close to an area with really good restaurants! I went to "The Steakhouse" 3 times. Mostly I went to Chili's the rest of the time.  I did eat local a few times as well, which luckily wasn't as gross as usual since they asked me my preferences first (at least at one of the places).
 These are pictures of Clarke Quay, which was right in back of the hotel (the place with all the shops).

This was the park I went walking in on Sunday morning
 Isn't this a fun bench. not really that comfortable though.
Here's a bit of Singaporean history. I was surprised that it had been unoccupied until the 1800's! 
There were a bunch of these Cow sculptures in the park. Apparently made from scrap metal. I thought they were interesting.

This is a little blurb about the cow sculpture guy.  Maybe you can read it if you enlarge the picture.  As a side note, my favorite animal is Beef.  I think me and this guy would get along (unless of course he likes his beef in living form). 
There were a lot of these cool Tarzan trees around. I was not really tempted to swing from the vines.
 Singapore's natural environment is a rain forrest. It's right off the equator, and is always between about 75°F (at night) and 85-90°F (during the day). And very Humid.

This park was a series of switchbacks leading up the hill. I was massively sweaty when I got back. I saw one of the guys I work with on my way back (lucky coincidence since I had been there for a week already, he had just arrived about 8 hrs earlier).  He asked if I had been running. I informed him I just sweat a lot. 


China Town (Monday Night)
One night, I went out with 3 of my team members (one from Boise and two from Singapore).  The two local members took us to China town for some shopping (I got the girls some dresses).
You can see the start of China town in the distance. Apparently it's the year of the snake, the large red-orange thing in the distance is a snake. I'll get some close ups in a minute.
Here's the same picture, but now I'm smiling bigger. Suzy always tells me I need to smile in pictures and not look like a terrorist thug. As I was showing this to Faith, she pointed out that I still have on my badge from work. Luckily it was facing backwards so while I look like a geek, at least I don't look like a geek who's name is showing for all to see.
Here are some close ups of the snake you could see in the distance in the pictures above. I thought it was cool, the Singaporians told me that the year of the dragon was way better and they probably ran out of money doing that one so this one was sort of tame in comparison. 

 China town starts with a big ol' TV Screen. Here are some hotels as well. You can see the main part of the City off in the distance.







1 comment:

middledavis said...

VERY cool snake! Sorry we missed the dragon!