Wednesday, August 11, 2010

JAG

http://saintalphonsus.netreturns.biz/nursery/
Passcode is 23974. This has the picture that the Nurse took, along with all the stats.


IT HAPPENED! FINALLY! A boy was born to the Garrett household at 7:12am August 11th 2010. Jace Allen Garrett.

Suzy was due to be induced at 7am, but she REALLY didn't want to be induced. She went through induction with Faith, and the labor wasn't very pleasant. Luckily, we appear to have an obedient child, because labor started at 3:10 this morning. Contractions were at 3:10, 3:30, 3:50 (20 minutes apart), then at 4am. I woke up at this point, and Suzy mentioned to me that the contractions were coming about 10 minutes apart. Then 7 minutes, at which point I got pretty anxious and jumped out of bed.

I called our sister in law Laurie at about 4:10 or so. I was so glad when she answered.

She jetted on over, I ran around frantically loading up the car, especially since the contractions when from 20 minutes to 10 minutes to 7 minutes to 5 to 4 to 3. I was getting VERY anxious. I normally drive somewhat fast, poor Suzy (who I thought should be encouraging me at this point) was having to tell me to slow down about every minute or so.

We made it to the hospital about 4:40am, I calmly mentioned on the phone by the door that my wife was having a baby. I didn't yell at the nice nurse or any such thing. They got her into the delivery room, the nurse checked and immediately validated my sense of urgency. She was at an 8 with a "very bulgy bag". She called the Doctor right away (it was about 5am or so at this point).

She got her started on the antibiotics immediately and called the Epidural Nurse as soon as the IV bag was down to about 2/3rds full (apparently they're supposed to get about half way gone). We REALLY liked our nurse (Heidi). She was competent, nice and exibhited a concerned quickness that I very much appreciated. In some of our previous experiences (all two of them), the nurses didn't seem to expect Suzy to go as fast as she did.

Transition labor started about 6-6:15am. It took a LONG time. The epidural only numbed the left side, but Suzy said that was good enough (until about 45 minutes later when she was still pushing). I thought it was taking a while, and it did. Jace was face up, which delayed things a quite a bit (according to the Doctor and the Nurses, face up usually takes longer since its hard to get the head out in that position).

Finally though, he was born! Because he's such a large baby (9 lbs, 1oz 21 inches) he has been getting his blood sugar checked every hour. So far okay. He seems to be a good eater.

The kids have been by to see him, I'm not sure they know what to think yet. I asked them what they thought, and they both said "pretty good". I think Kate may be coming around to the name Jace, although she's really disappointed that Mushu Peter Mike was not the final choice. Yesterday she did suggest Popsicle, and Neil Diamond Sparkle Rose is another favorite.

Yesterday, Faith said she "I not like the baby" yesterday, but I think that's just because she was having a contrary day. After a few "timeouts" attempting to get her to say Sorry for hitting among other things, she finally said sorry. Immediately afterwards though, she said "I not sorry! I not say Sorry". Too late, she said it!

I'm really excited. I already love the little guy, as does everyone. I think he's not too bad looking, especially for a baby.

Mom came by, and mentioned that he seems to have a lot of Kate's baby manerisms.

WE GOT A BOY!











12 comments:

Clandestine Road said...

Congratulations! I hope Suzy's feeling well. Love the name, by the way. Happy family of five day!

Angie

Jennie said...

Awwww!! He's SO gorgeous! And totally worth the wait, eh? :) He WAS a big boy! I'm glad to here Suzy's doing well!

pamela said...

Congratulations! We're so happy for you! Boys are fun! And the girls will come around--they'll be trying to tote him around before long!

Sarah said...

So glad everything went well! Oh boy, oh boy, was he a big kid! Way to go, Suzy!

Chad and Becca said...

I think he is the cutest little boy I've ever seen (and I can only say this because I only have girls!)
Congrats! Kaylynn is thrilled to meet Kate's baby brother!

Unknown said...

Aww, sweet baby Popsicle! (That's my favorite of Kate's names, she's so funny!) He is adorable!! I love all the pictures, my favorite is the second one of you, Mike. Congrats to all of you!!

Lynette Stone said...

Way to go mom! I'm so glad he came on his own and he finally has a name! Let me know if you are coming home tomorrow....I'll bring dinner,
Lynette

Abby Stimpson said...

WHOHOO ;) So what's the secret cause umm... we have 3 boys and are only going to give it one more try for a girl!!! Congrats

middledavis said...

Jace is such a dear baby. He reminds me so much of Kate but sometimes I see a few facial expressions reminiscent of Mike when he was a baby.Love the pics!

Jetta said...

So excited for you 4 (now) happy to hear of a healthy baby boy.

Scott and Jamie said...

Congrats you two! We are so excited you had a boy, they are so much fun, easier and calmer babies. Hope all is going well for Suzy, we miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! It took me a little longer than most to leave my post, but at least it rhymed the most, which should garner points. Jace is cute and all that. I liked the recounting of events. Kate and Faith are cute. You two are awesome!