Wednesday, February 2, 2011

The Free Place - a post about Kate.

We recently drove down to Utah to visit Suzy's old roommate Monique and her husband Jacob.  As we were getting on the interstate, Kate pipes up with, "I recognize this! It's the Free Place! ". 

After about half an hour on the "freeplace", the "are we there yet?" questions started. She was especially fond of, "we've been driving FOREVER."  Although, I must admit that the kids were great going both ways.

Jacob and Monique run a house for troubled girls, ages 8-13 or so.  We met three of the girls, and they were very nice, especially to Kate and Faith.

As we were leaving, Kate started to get VERY emotional.  We asked her what was wrong, and she told us, "I'm sad because I didn't get to know my friends very long."  She has such a sensitive heart.

Yesterday, she was very service oriented. She likes to call it "surprises".  She cleaned up the shoes in the laundryroom and mentioned she wanted to do more. So Suzy lamented (to the air) that she wished someone would take the sheets off the bed so she could wash them.  Sure enough, a few minutes later Kate was done. (side note, she makes the bed WAY better than I do. I came in a few days ago, and the bed looked great, as if Suzy had done it (although our pillows were in each others spots). I asked her about that, and she told me Kate did it). ps - Suzy agrees that Kate makes the bed way better than I do.

Also, while Suzy was on the phone with her mom yesterday, Kate made her a peanut butter and Jelly sandwich.  It's her new thing.  You can recognize a "Kate Made" sandwich by the inch thick peanut butter. That stuff is hard to spread. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That's so cute, Brecken likes to make her own peanut butter and jelly sandwiches too. We go through peanut butter very quickly because of it.

middledavis said...

Well, Maddie likes Kate's sandwiches...

Christopher said...

I make my peanut butter an inch thick on purpose