Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Engineers

I work at a company that employs many engineers (of which I am one). There are a few things I find interesting about this. #1 is the sense of humor. When you make a joke about Pi, Silicon, Star Trek, Star Wars etc. you get a lot of laughs. #2 Is the social norms that engineers exhibit. Most of the hallways here are about 8-10 feet wide. It is VERY rare to find another person walking towards you who will look you in the eye and say hi (unless you know them of course). I can't tell you how often I've looked over at someone at the same time they looked at me, I nod at them and they continue on as if nothing occurred. Usually everyone just tries to avoid looking at incoming people.
#3 Is the dress. No one complains, nor notices what anyone else is wearing (nor cares). I like this, since it means no one really cares if I have stains on my shirt (somewhat common occurrence), or if I match etc. Since I often get ready without a Mirror (Jace has been sleeping in our bathroom, so I just get dressed in the Closet and leave) this lack of caring about appearance just helps me to fit in even better.

I admit, I'm a typical engineering geek, but there are perks.

No comments: