Thursday, September 16, 2010

Dough Ray Me

Everyone who's heard me sing knows that concepts such as "on tune" and "rhythm" are only pit stops in my racetrack of song. I'm sort of like a stopped clock, I'm probably on tune or rhythm (maybe even on tune AND rhythm) twice a song. Or maybe it's every two songs. Regardless.

Suzy recently read or heard somewhere that a child's sense of tone, and all that jazz is determined by the time they're some insanely young age. Ever since then, I think she's been pretty worried about our children (see, I used to sing them to sleep, or to comfort them).

Well, worry no longer. Now, whenever I'm in the car and start singing (you know, I just break out in song all the time), the kids immediately say "Can you please put on Safety Kids"? The first few times, I thought it was coincidence. Eventually though, I caught onto the pattern. At least now we know our kids aren't musically scarred for life.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That made me laugh out loud. At least they're trying to be polite about it, right?

middledavis said...

I laughed out loud, too. Funny, Mike.

I'm not sure who wrote that article, but...during my Montessori training we were taught that children in the preschool classroom have the ability to learn perfect pitch through the lessons on the Montessori bells.